Fathers-to-be Deserve Great Skills
Birthing Better has always marketed to pregnant women to target fathers-to-be. Our Birthing Better Facebook community is composed of 95% women which leaves only 5% men. Why is that? It’s simple, even though fathers-to-be are now present at The Birth, mostly they are left out.
This audio 6:55
Sure as a pregnant woman you are including your partner in every decision you make but that doesn’t mean he feels included or isn’t left out. Fathers-to-be might help make a decision as to how the baby’s room will look, what stroller to buy or even discuss what you’re putting on your Birth Plan. Yet, every man knows that the cosmetics about what you buy for the baby means more to you than to him as a father-to-be. he certainly knows that any hardcore medical decision really will be made by your obstetrician or midwife even if he is either of those.
Fathers-to-be are actually in limbo but it’s important that this change. As many of you know Birthing Better skills were developed equally by fathers-to-be as well as mothers-to-be. This matters. Following up on yesterday’s audio … Are all childbirth preparation methods the same?’ … this is where Birthing Better stands away from the pack. Fathers-to-be are the co-creators of these skills and the Birthing Better Childbirth Preparation online courses reflect that in every lesson. The skills are practical, simple to learn, non-high-tech, useful and make common sense. They fall under the category of ‘Show me how and I’ll do that’.
Men want to know how to help their pregnant partners. Men know they are fathers-to-be and they have as much anxiety and fear as you do. There is just very little focus on fathers-to-be and an excessive amount of focus on mothers-to-be. This means communication between the two of you can often be strained. Besides it takes 5-6 months for you to feel your baby kick inside and longer for him to feel the movement from the outside. So much goes on inside of you that he has trouble grasping.
Most fathers-to-be turn away from childbirth preparation in boredom … all that information he knows he will never need, forget easily and doesn’t really impact him. He wants you and your baby to be healthy and safe. That’s his bottom line and he has no clue how to really help. Give him the gift of great birth-coaching skills.
The secret of how to work through Birthing Better online birth classes is for each of you to learn what you are drawn to instead of learning together. All the skills head to the same place. When a father-to-be learns exactly what he wants to learn then he’ll be more able to help you from his important role. Just share what each of you is learning and so the two roles … giving birth and helping a woman to give birth … come together.
Birthing Better skills were developed by moms and dads in the early 1970s in the US and used by many thousands globally in all types of birth. Birthing Better online birthing classes are housed in Common Knowledge Trust.